The Bad Horror Film Club : April Fool’s Day (2008)
Welcome to The Bad Horror Film Club : Here we take a look at Horror films that give off a ‘Likely to be baaaaaad’ vibe TheHorroronline is going to see if they can find a diamond in the crappy horror movie rough. Each film will be given a fair chance and we will discover whether or not they belong in The Bad Horror Film Club. Today we (unfortunately) look at April Fool’s Day.
This remake of the campy but popular 1986 horror has pushed this reviewer to a new and dizzying height of Incredulance (And yes I believe I did just invent that word, desperate times, desperate measures..) So horrified am I by it’s very existence that I am going to do something that has never been done by the Horroronline..I’m going to review this film in Bullet Point format. This I believe is all that the film deserves, as it appears that it itself is just one long bullet point list of bad ideas. Let’s get this shit over with quickly..
- Based on three different screenplays. Uh oh.
- Directed by The Butcher Brothers..Uh oh.
- Characters have names like Desiree, Barbie and Milan..triple uh oh.
- A character actually says “I’ll have you raped by a wizard”. Really. A human person actually wrote these words down and another human person spoke them. This actually happened.
- Inexplicably some of the characters have ridiculous Southern accents and some do not..
- Watching an ultra camp character flamboyantly drown to death (though his head barely goes under water?!) in a tiny swimming pool was by far one of the MOST hilarious things I have ever seen in my young life and I am thankful to the film for that. It is never explained as to why a person who can not swim owns a swimming pool..which thankfully adds to the hilarity..
- With ridiculous over the top acting and bizarre humor this film clearly wants to be a B movie – which would be fine except that the filmmakers seem to think that B Movie is code for UTTER SHIT.
- This is horror ‘Goosebumps style’ (except of course Goosebumps did it better) there is no violence, blood or gore – people just seem to die out of stupidity. The Butcher Brothers do not live up to their name..
The Verdict :
April Fool’s Day you are the reason The Bad Horror Film Club was created..stay the hell away from me.